October 10, 2012

C'est La Folie

I grew up watching Disney cartoons and my all-time favourite is Beauty and the Beast. It's amazing how cartoons can influence one's mind. That cartoon made me fall in love with France, even before I step foot in the country.

It has been my dream to visit France since I was a kid, but I never had the opportunity until 2 years ago when my boyfriend asked if I would like to join him to France to visit his family. I was completely blown away by the whole trip - taking in every morsel of the sights and sound when we were there. We visited Paris, Bretagne and Château de Chambord at the Loir-et-Cher region. When I came back, I even registered myself at Alliance Francaise for classes!

Recently, I was delighted when I chance upon Michael Wright's 'Cest La Folie' series, which is an honest biography of his life in a small French town, Jolibois in the Haute-Vienne region. Michael was from Surrey, UK before he decided to start a new life in Jolibois. I wish I could do what he did someday - to find my own ramshackle house and start a life of adventure! Here in SG, most people go through the pragmatic path of finishing our basic education, secure a job, probably start a family go on with life. There is an inner longing in me to strive for something more than a routine, a labour that I can be truly satisfied with. I'm praying that God can help me discover that and help me start my own c'est la folie story.

No comments:

Post a Comment