May 17, 2016

Pregnancy and cats

When I first informed our gynaecologist that we have 2 cats, his immediate reaction was, "You should send them away. They are bad for your baby." I understood what made him say that, having read about Toxo-plasmosis risks in the past. Even before we were expecting, we were well aware of the risks and were determined to keep our cats no matter what. We took extra precaution to minimize the risks factors. We made adopted realistic changes such as:

  1. Relocating the kitty litter box to an area in the house that I rarely use.
  2. I avoid clearing the kitty litter box. If need be, I wear gloves and disinfect my hands immediately after doing so. 
  3. We bath our kitties at least once a month to keep them clean. 
  4. We keep them indoors. 
  5. Tim checks for residual fecal matter that might be intact on their bums. 
  6. I go for blood tests to check for toxoplasmosis. 

The kitties have adjusted fine with these changes. In fact, they seem to be aware of my pregnancy or physical changes. Some obvious behavioral changes include them avoiding stepping or jumping on me, both keep me company whenever I'm home alone, follows me around the house wherever I go (even during toilet breaks). Occasionally Truffle and Ronny sleeps beside my belly or lovingly places their tail/head on me.

My cats are very affectionate. I love them with all my heart. Anyone who wishes to adopt or keep a pet should take the responsibility to read about the care requirements and commitment of having a house pet. I cannot imagine the distress that pets have to go through if they are abandoned by their owners because of additions to the family or changes in lifestyle. Keeping a pet is a lifetime commitment!

Truffle seated beside me while I work at the dining table.
Truffle cuddling with Tim
Truffle doing the puss-in-boots look to get cuddles

Ronny holding on to me whenever I'm beside him

Me waking up to this face regularly. He shares the same pillow with me with or without our consent. 

No comments:

Post a Comment